Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bladerider vs Freighter

With the lack of anything on the water I have resorted to racing the freighters that go by the club. It is interesting how much of a "lee bow" effect there is from the freighters. In light air days you get about a 2 knot boost in pressure, in breeze more like a 3-4 knot boost. Lined up one yesterday perfect angle to race. Got in the lee bow puff and went a couple hundred yards in front of the freighter square in his path. Started to run out of the puff while about to go into a lee of an island, said a little prayer and gybed away cleanly without coming off the foil. Freighter was probably doing about 14-15 knots definitely would have run my butt over if I came off the foil. Probably should not do that ever again. Don't think they even saw me because they did not even blow their horn, or they did and thought I had it under control.