Friday, March 7, 2008

Handicaps in One Design?

So we did the first of the two experimental courses yesterday, I have to say it was quite a bit of fun.  First we all started at the same time and reached for around 15-20 seconds before coming to the first gybe mark.  Going 4 wide into a turn was good fun,  I was able to win the straight up racing taking advantage of being able to nail gybes exactly when i needed to versus when i was comfortable.  After 5 races Rohan, set up a handicap system.  In the first try I started 50 seconds behind the slowest guy, thought that was a little extreme.  But it turned out not to be, i was completing the course in around 3 min.  As we did more racing they fine tuned the handicap, at the end all four of the Bladeriders were arrive within 10 sec of each other at the finish line.  I was still spotting all of them 10-30 sec.  Good fun !

We are about to go try the other course he had drawn up i don't even know how to describe it.  Something between a N and a Z course.......

Side note last night was the first night I have been able to get any sleep here.  Something about going to the other side of the world messed up my body clock.   Have to thank Sam for thinking cheap tequila was a good idea :) She had the wisdom to bail after that, me not so much.  Slept for 10 hours and I needed it. Keen to go on another round the world try but it looks like the wind direction could not be worse.  Obviously the trick is to minimize time spent beating ...

No comments: