Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Roaring 40s



Did my first "Jo Verne" attempt yesterday.  We ran a staggered start with Sam (sailor chick of the week) England starting first.  Chris Graham starting 5 min behind her, and then myself going 5 min behind Chris.  There was some miscommunication and Chris was going for an anti-clockwise attempt and Sam was going for a clockwise run.  I was confused, coach Ro told me to chase after Sam.    After about 30 minutes of beating I was close enough to see her.  15 minutes later I rounded the "Cape of Good Hope" and it was on.  Thierry said 2 meter waves but there were a couple that were big breakers causing me to bear away and run from them versus taking them on the beam.


It was so rough that the rib could no longer keep up with the moths.  Anyone that wants to sail their moth in flat water versus big waves and wind has no idea how much fun they are missing.  Sam had slowed down enough where I caught up to her and saw chris coming around the other way.  The whole time all I could do to keep the boat right side up was to "sail for the high water" and steer the crap out of it.  Eventually I made it to "Cape Horn" and was able to bear away and run fully with the swells huge relief to actually be able to slow down a little.

Made my final gybe around the corner and headed for where I thought we started from.  The haze was so bad, no rib in sight.  I sailed for the wrong break wall and had to sail close hauled to the finish line costing me more precious time.  In the end i was 10 minutes off his record but the conditions were not right for a real threat.  I still beat the VX40's time in a 11 ft sailboat.

In the afternoon we did some short course racing and a photo shoot going for foiling tacks with Ro.  Burned him good in a simul tack. :)

Six hours of sailing in one day and I am wrecked.  Hands are pussing from blisters so badly that my fingers are sticking together when they touch....

2 comments:

Tom said...

Bora, that first pic is now my all time favorite of any Moth sailing, any time, ever - and trust me, I've seen them all.

Fucking nice work mate, keep it up. See you in Weymouth.

Marc said...

The United States Sailing Association needs to use the Moth for the new Olympic Boat to replace the Tornado Catamaran.