Thursday, November 6, 2008

Lights Camera Action

So I now have 4 cameras for filming moth stuff.
each of those films at 30 fps at 512x384
60 fps at 680x480
for general Amac antics


On a side note I was cruising the Zhik site looking at the gear and stumbled upon the Zhik team page.  The moth team consists of Scott Babbage, Matt Belcher(who will be missed), and Luka Damic.  After clicking on Luka's  profile I noticed he got 3rd in the Australian Nationals last year.  I understand that I did not count in the Australian results but for the overall I could have sworn I got 3rd.  

This year there should be more internationals coming with Andrew Brown, Arnaud, Simon Payne, and myself.  Since I have not heard anything about the Australians changing the not counting internationals rule I am thinking of ways to either warrant the entry fee or make a side competition.

Simon suggested that we should expedite our Australian citizen application so that we could could count, in one of the more hotly contested regattas of the year.  That would be the ideal solution but I am not sure we can make it through all the red tape in a matter of three months.
Another thought I had was to video tape the whole event from my boat and put American flags on top of all the Australian boats.  If the videos made it to the web it would look like a 4 boat regatta with a whole bunch of American flags flying around the water....
A third idea for the internationals was to have our own competition of who can drive a top Australian farthest back in the fleet,  Sort of like a multiple team match race.  Since this would be unofficial, and I think it best that we provide prizes for ourselves.  Perhaps some libations at a local bar reliving the new Australian swear words that we could learn during the day if we were to do such a deed.

I really hope the Australian Moth Class lets people who have traveled from halfway across the world count in their national championship.  It would be the right thing to do.


11 comments:

Phil Stevenson said...

Bora,
You are welcome to come year after year to the Aust championships. You are not the first Yumiko did it for many years. Won a few races and usually went home with some sort of prize.
But the local feeling is very defensive about out hierlom perpetual trophies and the Aust association constitution is very specific about who is eligible.

The original NOR was posted by the organising club to cover all of the events in their regatta. An ammendment for the moth nationals has just been posted which clearly allows you to compete in the overall Open Aust Championships while the Aust members will compete for the Aust Nationals and the hirloom trophies as well. Everyone will race as one fleet.

I think any talk about sailing people off the course or running parrallel events should be minimised as if anything like this actually eventuates I am sure that the Aust IMCA AGM will be seriously discussing withdrawal of the international invitation in future.

See you soon.

Bora Gulari said...

I understand what you are saying and would never ever want to take a perpetual trophy, I would also never sail someone off the course but it does chafe my ass that someone can keep saying they got third at a regatta when they did not....

Though in the US we don't have the history of the AUS class I can promise you that every single one of the sailors would be ashamed if we did not count EVERYONE in the final results

Bora Gulari said...

I am also glad you have changed the NOR, I was not able to open it.

I sincerely hope you dont think I am serious about sailing someone off the course but I was playing a devils advocate role, if it stayed like last year how we did not count we effect the results more than if we do count. I can't tell you how much fun it is being yelled at for passing someone as they tell me to stop that because I am affecting their regatta.

Anonymous said...

hi bora
I am really glad you guys are coming down. More the merrier I say.
John

Simon Payne said...

I think there are two points here. Firstly in the past it hasn't always been easy to do the Australian Nationals, and if you did you were never far away from being reminded that you werent really supposed to be there. Secondly the class is now more International than ever and I think the ammended NOR reflects that. I'm looking forward to competing! I did the US nationals and the welcome was very warm. I'm sure all International competitors will get the same when they travel to Australia, and whilst I understand that only an Australian can win the Australian nationals, of course an International can win the open event.

Jethrow said...

Hi Guys

On the other side of the coin, I lived in Canada for about 6 years back in the 90's and it was quite common in a bunch of classes for Canadians to be ineligible for the trophy's for US national champs.

Geoff

Phil Stevenson said...

For the record. Over the last 10 or so years both Thorpey and Rohan sailed in the UK and Euro championship regattas several times and were never counted in the UK or Euro championship results. The prizes and the titles went to the locals.
Its not just Aust.

Dubai Moth Association said...

hangbags at ten paces!

Bora Gulari said...

Phil, correct me if I am wrong but I believe rohan stood on the podium during the euros at garda..

Also correct me if i am wrong that Si Payne was not allowed to sail in the Aussie Nationals before the worlds in 96?

Jethrow I would have raised my voice in the 49er class we never did such a thing and it is very selfish to not count people who spend money and time to come to your regatta making the level of competition higher.

Phil Stevenson said...

Results form IMCA site for euros:
2004 Regatta won by Rohan but Simon was Euro Champ.
http://www.moth-sailing.org/europeans/2004_uk.xml

and 2002 won by Thorpey but Ian Forsdike was Euro champ:
http://www.moth-sailing.org/racing/2002_europeans.html

Report of the Garda event does not seem to have this occuring, but it did happen earlier in both Euros and UK nationals.

Within Aust we also restrict our state championships to locals, consequently we have Rohan (Victoria) winning in NSW but not NSW champion in 2007 and Ned Daley (Sth Aust)winning in Victoria in the same year but not recorded as Victorian champion.

Some could also argue it applies in the US to the world series of baseball, or is that basketball or is it ice hockey?.

Bora, you ARE welcome, we do have an event and a trophy for you to race for. We appreciate that you wnat to race against us,(unless its just our weather?) but since you are not Australian you can not be the Australian champion.

The same thing happened with Simon in 2005, and all the other visitors over many years as far as I know.

Bora Gulari said...

Phil,
point taken. I fully agree that it is fine for only a certain national to win that nations national championship. I hope that the finishing positions of the not from that nation as still counted in the national results. Even though there overall position is not counted. This makes sure that even for a national only championship a boat is a boat and it does not matter who they are. It would prevent people from saying that non nationals are messing them up by being on the race course... i dont know if that makes any sense